|PROGRAMMES: Park Management
- To provide interpretative information on the local environment, the natural habitats, flora and fauna.
- To provide an environmental education programme for visiting school groups.
- To have an environmental education community outreach programme.
In order to achieve the main objectives, the following areas are considered:
To help individuals and social groups acquire awareness and sensitivity to the total environment and its allied problems, as well as an awareness that they can do something about these problems.
To help individuals and social groups gain a variety of experiences with the associated problems and humanity's critical responsible presence and role within it.
To help individuals and social groups acquire social values, strong feelings of concern for the environment and the motivation of actively participating in its protection and improvement.
To help individuals and social groups acquire the skills for working towards the solution of the environmental problems and to foster dialogue between these groups.
- Activities that can promote the identification of significant environmental questions and environmental issues e.g. debates, sharing of ideas about different environmental problems, give topics for research as groups and report back for presentation.
- Activities can be developed around the concepts of choice and promote decision making in a context of responsible action.
- Soil and climate
- Philosophy in ethics
- Vegetation and animal management
- Sustainable agriculture e.g. permaculture, orchards, etc.
- Environmental issues globally
- Community relations/projects
- Water tests e.g. catchments
- Fire management
- How to link natural resources with tourism attraction
- Natural resource management through indigenous tree nursery
To help individuals and social groups develop a sense of responsibility and urgency regarding environmental problems and to ensure their appropriate action to help solve these problems.